CHAT CURRENTLY WORKS IN FOURTEEN COUNTIES IN KENYA
CHAT focuses their work where people and nature co-exist within fragile ecosystems. These areas include a variety of ecosystems from mountains to acacia woodland to dry-land savannah to riverine areas, and include regions bordering conserved areas, or within community conservancies. Within these ecosystems, population growth and density are unsustainable for the health of communities and the environment. As the natural resources people rely on for their livelihoods become degraded, these communities experience a deepening cycle of poverty and suffering.
Currently CHAT operates within 12 ecosystems (map)
- North Kenya Rangelands Ecosystem – which extends across Samburu, and Marsabit Counties
- Ewaso Nyiro Ecosystem- Which includes Isiolo and Laikipia Counties
- Tana River – which extends across Northern Kitui, and Tharaka Counties
- Mt. Kenya Ecosystem- In parts of Meru, Nyeri and Nanyuki
- Mid Great Rift Valley – which includes parts of Baringo (East Pokot)
- Lake Victoria Basin Ecosystem – in Kisii and Homabay Counties
- Aberdares Range Ecosystem- which is in Nyandarua County
- The Mara Ecosystem – In Narok South County
- Mt. Kilimanjaro (Amboseli) Ecosystem - In Loitoktok, Kajiado County. Click here for a virtual overview of the Ecosystem.
- Lake Turkana Ecosystem- In Turkana County
- The Mau Forest Ecosystem- In Nakuru County
- Dagoreti Slum- In Suburban slum around Karen Nairobi County
Approximately 80% of the inhabitants receiving CHAT's services live in under-served rural areas. In Samburu, Laikipia, Isiolo, Marsabit, Mara, Amboseli & Baringo the people are largely transient, semi-nomadic pastoralists from a number of ethnic groups, including Samburu, Turkana, Pokot, Boran, Somali, Mukogodo.
Meanwhile, we encounter mainly Kamba in Kitui, and Merians & Tharakas in their eponymous county. In Nakuru County, CHAT is primarily providing services to an area inhabited by the Nandi and Kikuyus. In Nyeri the people are mainly Kikuyu. In Nairobi we are working in suburban slum around Karen and Dagoretti.